As we kick off Summer this Memorial Day weekend and prepare for fun on the lake, AND as a new mom, I have found myself doing endless research on the best sunscreen for my little ones sensitive skin that will still give him the best protection. We’ve all seen and heard the horror stories of children’s skin peeling off after having a reaction to a chemical in sunscreen, or experiencing a nasty burn, these are definitely experience I want to avoid with my son. So…
I’ve learned in my research just how sensitive our little ones skin really is, and want only the safest products for my sweet baby boy. Along the way I have come across countless other moms posting the same question on social media. So I thought I would share my research with you so you too can protect your babies skin this Summer with the best products available. So let’s just cut to the chase…we’re all moms, we don’t have time to read an endless blog post.
- Thinkbaby–(This one is currently in my amazon cart) Was the first sunscreen to pass Whole Foods Premium Care requirements. It’s mineral based, free of biologically harmful chemicals, no avobenzone, oxybenone, UV chemical absorbers or known reef harmful chemicals. Its also the highest SPF, Water resistance and broad-spectrum coverage per the FDA’s 2012 proposed monograph, and was awarded Allure’s Best Baby Sunscreen.
Thinkbaby’s mission is to address the growing concern of toxic chemical leaching from consumer products and aim to create safe alternatives for babies to athletes alike. MADE IN THE USA.
2. Australian Gold Baby— If you’re looking for sunscreen that’s safe for babies and a little more cost efficient Australian Gold Baby may be the one for you. It’s a hypoallergenic and fragrance free sunscreen that works without irritation on baby skin. Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB Protection, Oil-free formula, Native Australian Acacia extract provides antioxidant benefits, and water resistant (80 minutes).
3. Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby— With a sqirmy baby easy application is always a plus. Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby provides easy stick application and superior protection with 60+ broad spectrum SPF. It’s great for babies delicate skin with no fragrances, no parabens, no phthalates, and no dyes. This baby sunscreen has been awarded the National Eczema Associations Seal of Acceptance for eczema and sensitive skin conditions.
4. Babyganics Baby Sunscreen— This is currently what touches my little ones skin (and we’re big fans). MADE IN THE USA AND NEVER TESTED ON ANIMALS. Formulated without: PABA, phthalates, parabens, fragrances, or nano particles. Plant-derived and certified organic ingredients. It’s perfect for high exposure areas and targeted protection, broad spectrum SPF 50+ UVA and UVA protection, water resistant (80 minutes), and tear free.
5. Sunology Kid’s & Baby— This sunscreen is a gentle fragrance-free sunscreen for kids and babies (6 months and up). Infused with natural moringa oil which is good for sensitive skin. It has the highest SPF 50 broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen (per FDA compliance) and the highest level of water resistance (80 minutes), free of harmful chemicals oxybenzone and avobenzone; paraben free, PABA free, and does not burn or sting the skin or eyes. MADE IN USA.
You can do more comparing on these top 5 brands by checking out the post by Bestreviews.com that I found the most useful. They purchase every product and review with their own funds and never accept anything from product manufacturers.
And as always sunscreen is only as good as the continued careful application…
Tips for Application:
- Be sure to apply all areas that will e exposed to sunlight, including behind the ears, neck, hands, feet and scalp 15 minutes before sun exposure.
- Reapply after 80 minutes of swimming or sweating, immediately after towel drying, at least every 2 hours.
- Avoid spreading sunscreen too thin. Otherwise you will decrease the effectiveness of the sunscreen.
Now let’s all go enjoy the lake this weekend with our family and friends. Stay cool my friends!